Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yenika_z10

angraecum sesquipedale framboyant x bosorii lisa

yenika_zone10 Miami, Fl
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Hi all,

Two weeks ago i received an Angraecum sesquipedale framboyant x bosorii lisa. The pot is very hard and the flower is almost done. So, my question is should i reppoted now and how big should be the pot. Right now is in a 4" but i heard that they dont like to be messing around with they root and after you reppot they takes longer to bloom again.... Help .... What will be the best solution for my Ang. Sesquipedale....

Also do i need to get those root that are out inside the pot?

Thank you!!

Comments (30)

• arthurm2015
    9 years ago

Jane must be on holidays. Did you find these notes on the net?Angraecum notes

• yenika_zone10 Miami, Fl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you arthurm for answer. Yes, i found it but they dont say anything about the spike ...how to cut it or if i leave it? And about the roots don't know if i need them inside the pot and the size of pot ?

So many questions....:)

Sorry i don't know how to turn the picture

Thank you so much

;)

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

Yenika, I always cut off the spikes when they are finished blooming. I have repotted my Angraecum every two years. I've never had a problem. I really don't know why they continue to say they have 'super sensitive' roots.

I would pull it out of the pot and gently hose off as much of the old bark as possible. Cut off any brown, mushy roots. I always pot in bark and sphag, perlite. About 80% bark with some sphag mixed in. Some perlite to aid with aeration.

These plants do not like to go completely dry. You are in Miami with lots of heat and humidity. Watch your watering. Wait until the plant is almost dry before watering. They are slow growers. Feed them with every watering.

My plants spike when the temps drop in Sept/Oct. I find they take longer in Florida because the night temps really don't drop until late Sept. They act like Phals and need that temp drop.

Give plenty of light and good watering over the hot weather. They are very easy to grow, almost impossible to kill!

Good luck,
    Jane

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Jane you answer all my question. In the last 5 years i hadnt kill one of my orchids i hope this is not the firts one... Again thank yuo for your comment and sharing your experience with your angraecum ...

;)

Original Author
    9 years ago

My orchid lost 4 leaves. Is that normal?

I live in miami florida.

Please any suggestion

Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't know if the sun has anything to do with the leaves turning yellow because i have it on the porch on the east side so it takes some sun in the morning and it get warm when i touch the leaves. Here in Miami gets really warm ( hot ). Also i dont know the conditions of this plant before since i buy it and i am not sure if the plant was in shock. Any help is very appreciated, thank you in advance.

Yeni

Original Author
    9 years ago

Another leaf is turning yellow ....why?

Anyone can help me please?

Jane i need your experience and great knowledge :)

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

I don't know what is going on. Pull it back a bit from the sun, but I suspect its something with the roots. How did they look when you repotted? Don't fertilize until the plant settles in. Don't overwater.

That's about the only advice I can give. Let it adjust to the repot and I'm sure it will be fine. Just leave it alone for a month.

Jane

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Jane, it gets some sun in the morning on my porch. The roots were great all solid did not have to cut any roots. I water it as my cattleyas. I have another angraecum (angraecum lemforde white beauty) and is doing fine also was repotted. I really don't want to lose it :(

So no water for a month?

I will post a picture of the roots when i get home

Thank you !!

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

No, no. Don't disturb it. Leave it alone. Its probably going through a transplant shock and will recover. Don't fertilize or over water. Just leave it be. It will be fine.

Jane

Original Author
    9 years ago

Jane, here are some pictures of the repotting when i got it. Yes, some roots were damaged, did not think was too many but now you see what is happening. I did not touch again the roots. I move the orchid to another spot were does not get sun and i am holding the water

These ones are after a week

Thanks Jane for the replied ;-)

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

Roots look good. Keep it in bright light and wait for it to make new roots. Don't water unless the bark is dry. What did you use for potting mix?

Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok thank you, i used better -gro special orchid mix and orchid bark

Original Author
    9 years ago

Another leaf is turning yellow. So far 5 leaves are gone. Im very sad if this one died. I have 4 more angraecums and the are doing fine.

:(

• fuzzballiscute (SF Bay Area, Ca. Us)
    9 years ago

I also deal with this sometimes after reporting as well so I have a bit of experience of stopping things like this under my own circumstances. I'm not totally sure but maybe you might want to check in between the bottom leaves for some sort of fungus or rot. Also it might need different temps, or likely less water, and more humidity. This is just my guess!

Original Author
    9 years ago

The local humidity today is 63% and i water it every 4 days. It is very hot here in miami 88 F. I will change it to another location and see what happen

Thank you for your comment

Yeni

Original Author
    9 years ago

Well today is a very sad day.... I think My angraecum is rotted on the top, the 6 leaves just felt. It is too soft on the bottom of the first leaf that felt off

How that can happen if i never rinse it on leaves i always rinse the medium and mist the leaves very lite

Anyone know if The lower part of the plant will survived?

I was worry because did not see any new growth or new root.

Any suggestion? I will appreciate thank you....

:(

Original Author
    9 years ago

Ohh no i found it like this... It came out the top part

This is very sad ... I hope it will make a keiki

:-/

Original Author
    9 years ago

I remember that i have to tied with two stick because it move too much when i received, so probably it was broken already when i received

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

Oh, that is sad. Not your fault. It came to you that way. Clean the broken part or separate if possible from the offshoot. Treat the baby plant as the main plant. I'm sure it will recover. You are lucky you have the offshoot.

You didn't do anything wrong. The main plant was a gonner no matter what you did. If you do not separate, I would treat the broken stump with some fungicide or alcohol. If you can separate the roots, even better.

So sorry,
    Jane

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

The stick was holding it up. It was rotting before you got it. After cleaning it up, move the plant back to the high light and only water when almost dry. It should make it.

Jane

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Jane i was hoping you can talk to me. I was waiting for you... I am so sad ... I dont like to lose any of my babies. I am on my way to clen it and put it on a high light.

Thank you so much.

:)

Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thats the crown look how clean its.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Jane ... What do you mean by separating the roots?

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

Yenika, I am assuming there were two plants in the pot. The mother plant with an offshoot. That's how it looked in the picture. Were there two plants?

I'm sorry, having trouble seeing what you see.

Jane

Original Author
    9 years ago

Ohh no Jane, there is only one plant. What you saw was the top part that fell down. No offshoot yet.

Yeni

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

Sorry, I thought it was an offshoot. Mine have a zillion offshoots and these plants tend to make them. Being monopodial, you have to hope for an offshoot. Keep the plant healthy, give it lots of light. That's about all you can do.

I would treat the rot with some fungicide or cinnamon.

Jane

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Jane... Thats all i will do keep it the most healthy way and hopefully will make some offshoots, i did the cinnamon healing.

;)

Yeni

Original Author
    8 years ago

Jane, the orchid died. I took the best care as possible but it was out of my hands. It was replaced by the seller not the same size that I paid but at least I got another Which is doing good so far also the other 4 angreacums.